Monday, June 22, 2009

Not A Smart Move

Every site giving tips on finding a new job tells you to be careful about what you post on the internet. That makes sense - you certainly don't want to scare off any prospective employers with discussions of your depravities & deviant proclivities. So, what's one of the first things I do? I start my very first blog. Not a smart move.

Why would I do such a silly thing? Well, it could be because I'm absolutely convinced that a prospective employer will read *my* blog and instead of thinking I'm a moron, they will be so awed by my deep insights and mastery of language that they will be compelled to instantly offer me a position on their executive team as the CGMO (Chief Grey Matter Officer). Or, it could be because I have decided to shuck the yoke of corporate life and make my living as a thinker and writer, and this blog is my first step down a road that will bring me fabulous fame and fortune. Or, it could be because I'm an idiot. Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets!

In my humble opinion, the best blogs hold to some sort of theme. The posts are not just random nonsense on anything that tickles the author's fancy - they are *specific* nonsense that tickles the author's (and hopefully the reader's) fancy. So, what will the theme of this blog be? That has been a very difficult decision. After MUCH more thought than I anticipated would be required, I kept coming back to the same point - cynicism.

Cynicism?
Those who have spent any time with me will tell you that underneath (and not far underneath) my outer facade of jovial, good-natured professionalism lies a True Cynic. I'm cynical on a wide range of topics - from the future of the human race to the genre of reality TV (actually, those two topics are connected). If I am successful, I will challenge your preconceived ideas, amuse more people than I offend and be considered a complete idiot only by those who know me best.

And for any prospective employers out there: No, I wasn't really thinking about the long-term ramifications of this decision, but now that you have pointed it out, I think you are right - it really wasn't a smart move.

No comments:

Post a Comment